Perkins Coie’s Intellectual Property practice combines the focus and flexibility of a boutique firm with the complementary services of one of the world’s leading technology law firms. Our internationally recognized practice consists of more than 250 attorneys and agents who provide innovative, comprehensive counsel at every stage of IP protection and development, including patent litigation and appeals, post-grant proceedings, patent prosecution, portfolio counseling and technology licensing, as well as copyright, trademark, trade secret and unfair competition counseling and litigation.
Perkins Coie has one of the most active and successful PTAB practices in the country with a deep bench of tested, high-performing patent litigators and prosecutors who have appeared as counsel of record in more than 350 IPRs and other post-grant proceedings on behalf of petitioners and patent owners. We have represented clients since the earliest days of IPR proceedings, accumulating a winning track record. And when cases go up on appeal, we have a winning record representing clients in high-stakes patent appeals before the Federal Circuit. Our practice includes the former Solicitor and Deputy General Counsel for Intellectual Property Law at the USPTO who also acted as the USPTO’s Chief Administrative Patent Judge in charge of the PTAB.
We have built a premier practice by immersing ourselves in our clients’ technologies and industries, and clients benefit from our interdisciplinary approach to matters. We have experience across a range of life sciences technologies, including biotechnology, pharmaceuticals (branded and generic), biologics, biosimilars, chemistry, diagnostics, medical devices and digital health. Several of our IP attorneys have advanced degrees in molecular biology, chemistry or biophysics, while others actively participate on boards of directors for various life sciences organizations, keeping them at the forefront of industry trends. We represent clients across a full range of life sciences industry segments and know the industry as well as we know the laws and regulations that apply to it.
Our IP practice has garnered significant recognition, including:
- Named by Law360 as one of the top “Firms That Dominated the Federal Circuit” for the third year in a row, ranking number one for win percentage (85 percent) and third in total victories in 2018
- Ranked fifth among the most active national firms representing PTAB petitioners in 2018 by Lex Machina
- Recognized globally, nationally and regionally in IP and life sciences by Chambers
- Ranked as the Top Life Sciences Law Firm in Patent Litigation for Q3 2017 by Lake Whillans Litigation Finance in its Life Sciences Law Firm Index
- Ranked third for gender diversity in our IP practice in the 2018 Inclusion Blueprint Survey by ChIPs and the Diversity Lab